Each year, we provide resources to raise awareness of suicide, provide hope, and save lives.
- Suicide claims approximately 800,000 lives worldwide each year, resulting in one suicide every 40 seconds.
- Suicide occurs throughout the lifespan and is the second leading cause of death among 15-29 year olds globally.
- In 2017, over 47, 000 individuals committed suicide in the United States.
- Suicide was the second leading cause of death among individuals between the ages of 10 and 34, and the fourth leading cause of death among individuals between the ages of 35 and 54 (in the U.S.)
- On average, there are 129 suicides per day in the United States.
Library resources: (includes Ebooks available with your AccessECC ID and password)
- Suicide- A Global Perspective (Ebook)
- Suicide Information for Teens
- Issues in Society: Self Harm and Young People (Ebook)
- Understanding and Preventing Suicide
- Myths about Suicide
- Youth at Risk: A Prevention Resource for Counselors, Teachers, and Parents (Ebook)
- Oxford Psychiatry Library: Suicide Prevention (Ebook)
- Death, Value, and Meaning: Suicide Among the Armed Forces (Ebook)
- Queer Youth Suicide: Unlivable Lives? (Ebook)
- Follow @AASuicidology on Twitter
- Follow @afspnational on Twitter
- Follow the hashtag #StopSuicide
- Contact the ECC Wellness Professionals at 847-214-7390. They have crisis intervention and support groups to assist you.
- 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
- Depression Hotline (630) 482-9696
- Para obtener asistencia en español llame al 1-888-628-9454